A hospital just for children
McLane Children’s Hospital Scott & White is located at 1901 SW H.K. Dodgen Loop in Temple. Our hospital is designed with your child in mind with state-of-the-art technology, equipment and accommodations sized just for children. Our bright and colorful, friendly atmosphere creates a nurturing place for the children of Central Texas to heal and thrive.
When your child needs medical care, it is only natural that stress levels rise. A potential hospital stay can create fear or worry for young patients. That is why we created an environment that is soothing and familiar for your child and for you.
Our facility is focused in every way on children and their families and offers equipment to suit smaller patients and family-centered spaces.
View our hospital fact sheet.
McLane Children's Hospital includes:
- 112 patient beds: 48 private medical/surgical rooms and 16 private Pediatric ICU rooms at McLane Children's Hospital and 48 Neonatal ICU beds at Scott & White Hospital—Temple
- 24-hour pediatric Emergency Department equipped to deal with almost any type of care your child needs, including trauma services
- Pediatric surgery with five advanced surgical suites and a three-room procedure suite
- Advanced Diagnostic Imaging Center with state-of-the-art MRI and a "Flash CT" scanner that emits the lowest effective level of radiation, reducing risk to smaller bodies, making scan times faster, and requiring less sedation
- VeinViewer® illumination device to help access small veins and arteries beneath the skin
- ECMO therapy, a lifesaving heart and lung treatment reserved for the sickest of patients
- Pediatric and neonatal transport ambulance
- Comprehensive laboratory services
- Pediatric residency training program, training the next generation of competent and caring physicians
- Medical research programs to help advance science and lead to more effective treatments
Every element supports your child and family
Children are amazing, but they are not mini-adults. McLane Children’s looks and feels different from the moment you walk in the door. We haven’t just dressed up an adult hospital with bright colors—we have designed a facility specifically for children.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Large rooms to accommodate strollers and siblings
- Skylight System that transforms the in-room TV into an interactive information, communication and entertainment platform
- Playrooms for children of all ages, where doctors are not permitted! Our Child Life Activity Centers are located on the fourth and fifth floors, offering therapeutic environments specifically designed to promote the growth and development of our patients. It is considered a part of treatment for patients and families—a psychologically safe place, free from medical exams, procedure suites
- A quiet place for you to relax, rest, or even do laundry. The Ronald McDonald Family Room, located on the first floor, is a suite designed just for parents to rest and recharge, but still remain close to their child at the hospital
- Information at your fingertips at the Family Resource Center
- Social workers, psychologists, and even teachers ready to help every member of your family to understand what is happening, along with specialists to help address financial concerns
- Chaplains and social workers eager to support your family
Would you like to learn more? Check out our online Visitor’s Guide.
We have a simple belief: the more we are able to support your family, the more your family can support your sick child, so we take care of your whole family—including parents, siblings, and other family members.
Family-centered care occurs when the doctors, nurses and other
staff meet as a team to discuss your child’s condition, progress
and plan of care. Because you know your child best, you are
also an important member of your child’s care team and we
encourage you to join in the discussion. During family-centered
care meetings, we work together with you to make the best plan
of care for your child. Learn more about family-centered care.
We hope you feel the compassion and love that we strive to show each day at McLane Children's Hospital. Just like you, we are committed to providing only the best for your children, for your family and for Central Texas!