Resources at your fingertips
The Family Resource Center is located on the first floor of McLane Children’s Hospital, across from Admitting and adjacent to the Ronald McDonald Family Room. We offer information services for patients and their families, as well as for our staff.
SERVICES FOR FAMILIES
- Information packets delivered to patient rooms or sent via email (Request a packet)
- Librarian available to answer questions and offer research assistance
- Three computers with internet and word processing capabilities
- Printer and telephone
- 24/7 access to computer workstations
Staff members are available to assist with your information requests Monday through Friday during business hours. Visit the Family Resource Center to fill out an information request form, request services through the Skylight system in your child's room or request online now. You may also leave a message for the staff via telephone or email.
Requested information is generally available within one business day. You may also visit the Family Resource Center at any time to conduct your own research.
ONLINE HEALTH INFORMATION
The Family Resource Center maintains a list of useful sites on its public computers. Be aware that not all health information found online is reliable. Family Resource Center staff members are happy to provide guidance with evaluating websites. Remember to consult your health care team before following any medical advice found on the Internet.
SKYLIGHT INTERACTIVE TV SYSTEM
The Skylight System seamlessly transforms the in-room TV into an interactive information, communication and entertainment platform. Patients and parents benefit from:
- Viewing prescribed health education specific to their condition on demand
- Ordering a meal without ever leaving your child's side. Parent meals can be ordered through the Skylight System in each patient’s room and can be paid for with a debit or charge card through our electronic system.
- Watching healing, spiritual, and meditative content—on demand
- The ability to request direct assistance from patient support departments
- Providing real-time feedback through requests and surveys
- Enjoying premium entertainment with cable television, movies, music, Internet, email and games.
Because of the useful information and health education delivered over the Skylight system at McLane Children's, patients and families are better prepared for both scheduled procedures and discharge. Patients may be less prone to issues after discharge and can experience better outcome.
If you have questions about our system, please call us at 254-935-4116.
SELECTED ONLINE RESOURCES
To reach a librarian at the Family Resource Center, please call us at 254-935-4116.
Information provided by the Family Resource Center is not a substitute for consultation with a health professional. The resources listed may not be all that is available on a subject.